Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability.
Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people.
We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA.
Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
We need an Engineering Lead to join us in our Bank, London office.
As an Engineering Lead you will:
- Develop customer focused products in a culture which champions Agile, cross functional teams and continuous collaboration.
- Being hands on in developing our products using best practices, appropriate tools, and technologies
- Leading a small project team of Engineers
- Working with small cross functional collaborative teams to drive out requirements, highlight risks and prioritise stories
- Working with team members to identify areas for learning and helping them grow in these areas via project work, external learning, or additional mentoring
- Championing Agile methodologies whilst creating amazingly useful systems in a collaborative way for our customers
- Highlighting areas for continuous improvement & driving their prioritisation
- Being proactive in suggesting new tools, technologies and ways of working
What we are looking for:
- Experience of leading a small team of Engineers
- Strong programming skills in Ruby
- The ability to challenge us! We love people who come in and challenge us and not be afraid to raise questions and help us improve
- Strong communication and collaborative skills and strong desire to liaise closely with business teams
- An advocate of engineering best practices
A handful of things we believe in:
- Continuous delivery - we currently release software to production around 14 times a day on average
- Cross functional teams – we believe in collaboration across the whole organisation and we see Tech and Business teams as ‘one team’ working together on projects (in fact, we even have our business product owners writing code).
- Agile and Lean Start-up methodologies
- Continuous innovation - we do fortnightly hackathons as one example to drive experimentation with new technologies and ways of working
- Never chaining ourselves to a technology - using the ‘right tool for the job
We want to meet you
At Simply Business, we pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce. Unfortunately, research has shown that some candidates, particularly women and people from other underrepresented groups, are put off applying for a job if they don’t fit every single one of the criteria.
But hiring at Simply Business isn’t a box ticking exercise – we’re much more interested in meeting people who’re excited to work with us. So if this job appeals to you and you think you’d be a good fit, send us your CV. With any luck we’ll be seeing you at interview soon.
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership or gym subsidy, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday, or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
Some of these will kick in once you’re confirmed in post, but here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day, generous annual leave
• life assurance (financial cover for your family, should the worst happen)
• a cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• an automatic enrollment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
The fun stuff
Passed probation? Time to pick and mix from things like:
• a full gym membership
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering.
In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We believe in our people and the positive impact they can have so we enable everyone to stretch themselves
We celebrate diversity, avoid jargon and genuinely care about helping small businesses thrive
We attempt to simplify complex solutions to save our customers time and effort
We’re never done learning about new possibilities and act to explore them
We’re obsessed with finding new ways to create even better experiences