SAM Labs is an award-winning EdTech startup. Founded in 2014, growing fast and venture capital funded, we are here to inspire children to unleash their creative potential to discover the fun in STEAM and coding. At SAM Labs we empower non-technical teachers by combining wireless electronic blocks, apps and curriculum-aligned education content. Using our products and lesson materials, teachers can help their students design anything from an energy efficient lighting grid for a ‘smart’ city to a solar-powered habitat for endangered species!
With over 2,500 school customers in 60+ countries already using SAM Labs products and lesson materials, we are looking for a Node.JS Developer to support our Engineering team. Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the main focus of this role will be to work on the backend code and infrastructure to design and develop create innovative app experiences. This is a rare opportunity to work at a London-based business that combines hardware and software, entertainment and education during this exciting and transformational phase of the company’s growth. The role will be based in our HQ in London (Old Street).
At SAM Labs we are optimists. We are a team of passionate and collaborative people on a mission to be key players in the future of education. We value creativity, action, hard work, ownership, transparency and fun. If you do too, join us!
- Design, architect and get hands on with backend code and infrastructure to support the fun and emerging technologies and experiences that SAM Labs are pioneering
- Work with the Product team, including Unity Developers, UX/Designers and Education Consultants, to design and develop creative educational content and innovative app experiences
- Provide thought leadership on Web related aspects of the Product
- Plan and strategise around the future of the backend infrastructure of SAM Labs
- Learn and skill up on new technologies as the need arises
- Create scripts and tools to help in automation and the build pipeline
- Strong Node.js experience
- Experience using AWS is beneficial
- GraphQL experience (Apollo Client / Apollo Server / Prisma)
- Experience with setting up and maintaining Docker containers
- Existing Terraform knowledge would be a bonus
- Experience building web front end using tools such as React/Vue/etc would be beneficial.
- Uses and understands good practices such as TDD, SOLID.
- Experience with functional programming is beneficial.
- Having prior experience with SCRUM project management is also a plus (but not required).
- A doer - always ready to roll up your sleeves and go the extra mile.
- Able to multi-task, prioritize and handle time effectively.
- Someone who flourishes in the dynamic environment of a start-up.
- Experience and/or passion for Ed Tech.
- Experience working in a start-up environment highly advantageous.
At SAM Labs we move at high speed, and will provide you with immense opportunities for initiative, creativity and ownership. In addition to that we have created the following ‘more tangible’ benefits for you:
- 25 days holiday per year, increasing by 1 day annually up to 30 days per year;
- Personal Development & Training allowance;
- Travel season ticket loan up to £4,000 p.a;
- Share Options Scheme
- Cycle to work scheme;
- Daily free Coffee, drinks, biscuits, plus monthly team lunches;
- Regular socials in addition to the big two: the Summer and Christmas parties!
Any unsolicited CVs sent to us – that is to say, in any situation where the HR Team here at SAM Labs have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy – will be considered by us to be a “free gift”, leaving us liable for no fees whatsoever should we choose to contact the candidate directly and engage the candidate’s services, and will in no way establish any prior claim by your company to representation of that candidate should the candidate’s details also be submitted by any other party.
Submission of any unsolicited CVs to us by your company will be deemed evidence of full and unlimited acceptance by your company of these terms, and agreement by your company that these terms are the totality of any commercial or contractual relationship whatsoever between our companies in respect of the candidate(s) whose unsolicited CVs were thus sent.