Senior Data Engineer
Job Title: Senior Data Engineer
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: £Competitive plus Benefits
Do you want to make a difference by building a next-generation data processing and analytics platform in the cloud in a greenfield environment? Holland and Barrett is a successful business focusing on making people healthier and happier. We started in 1870 and today we are a highly profitable global Health and Wellness retailer with more than 1,000 shops worldwide, and we are the largest health and wellness retailer in the UK. Simply put, you will apply your Data Engineering expertise to build the bespoke digital nervous system that will drive this great business for the next decade and beyond.
Holland and Barrett are committed to this transformation. We hired an outstanding CTO with a long history of success in turning retailers into technology-driven businesses. Many more seasoned technologists will soon or have already joined our team like our Director for Data and Analytics with whom you will be interviewing and working. We are bringing together highly talented and experienced people like yourself to build our data platform. We love the cloud, we prefer building the right solutions over buying generic ones, and we embrace automation and testing in all things software, infrastructure and data.
You have experience with cloud computing and developing data processing pipelines including ingestion, cleaning, transformation, monitoring, and much more. You have worked with large-scale batch processing as well as near-real-time stream processing. Best practices in data and software engineering are dear to your heart. You are not dogmatic and know how to develop and deploy quickly and iteratively in cross-functional teams.
- Develop robust ETL/ELT pipelines including orchestration
- Develop stream processing backend
- Develop monitoring for jobs and data quality
- Select and/or explore appropriate cloud services (AWS)
- Work closely in cross-functional teams with
- Cloud/System Engineers for infrastructure automation
- Analysts and Data Scientist on analytics and machine learning projects
- Development teams building customer-facing products like websites, apps, search, and more
- Open minded
- Spark, Storm, or Flink
- Python, Java, Scala, or comparable languages
- Software Engineering practices including TDD, CI, CD
- Public Cloud, specifically Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Distributed Log/Event/Pub-Sub technologies like Kafka, Kinesis, RabbitMQ and similar
- SQL scripting and RDBMS like Postgres, Oracle, MySQL, ...
- NoSQL - Search, Document, KeyValue and Graph stores like Elastic, MongoDB, Cassandra, Neo4J or similar
- Essential distributed computing and architecture principles
- Undergraduate degree in CS, IT, or related fields
- Professional experience in a comparable role
Holland & Barrett is one of the nation's most loved and trusted brands, known for offering quality health food, vitamins and supplements all sold by highly trained and qualified advisors.
Bucking the current trend of high street retailers, we forecast significant growth and expansion plans in the coming years, with considerable investment going into all areas of the business. We certainly embrace change and drive speed in everything we do. Every day presents a different challenge, but every day is also filled with fun, teamwork and passion to succeed and surpass every expectation.
Join us and see how far you can go…
Any unsolicited CVs sent to us – that is to say, in any situation where the Team here at Holland & Barrett have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy – will be considered by us to be a “free gift”, leaving us liable for no fees whatsoever should we choose to contact the candidate directly and engage the candidate’s services, and will in no way establish any prior claim by your company to representation of that candidate should the candidate’s details also be submitted by any other party.
Submission of any unsolicited CVs to us by your company will be deemed evidence of full and unlimited acceptance by your company of these terms, and agreement by your company that these terms are the totality of any commercial or contractual relationship whatsoever between our companies in respect of the candidate(s) whose unsolicited CVs were thus sent.